As any business person knows, networking is key for growing your business. And the key is in the follow up, right?
We may know this but knowing and acting on it are two different things.
Do you dread going to networking events?
Feel hesitant to connect with people?
Think that if you call them after the event you are “bothering” them?
It’s nothing unusual. I’ve heard many many people say they don’t want to “bother” others.
The following strategies can help you support your business and connect with others in an emotional way. Once implemented consistently they become part of how you work and how people connect with you.
There is a wonderful book Journey to the Heart by Melody Beattie that I really enjoy that talks about overcoming personal challenges whatever they may be. Here’s a quote from the book: “Do what you need to do to break through your resistance”.
Remember: overcoming your discomfort will lead to breakthrough.
Follow these 7 easy steps to implement and break through that barrier of resistance to make lasting connections with others:
1. Be on TIME. Arrive early, suss out the room and make yourself comfortable with the environment. Then you do not feel rushed and you can watch who enters to go meet them!
2. Think TRUST. Build TRUST. Connecting with anyone is finding a common ground. Find the spark that ignites and connects you to the person you are speaking with so they see you as a person, not as someone that wants something from them.
3. You have VALUE. Know that you are unique and no one else has the same experience you have. And because of that, you have something people want to hear about. BELIEVE this and your conversations will start to flow.
4. Stand APART from the crowd. Use tools to your advantage and strategies that make you stand out. Go the extra mile and it will make a difference. For example, send out Holiday cards traditionally sent in December …in JULY. Will that make people smile? 99% of the recipients will! And they’ll remember you! Do it again the year after and guess what, they will start to look forward to the card the year after! Imagine the connections you can make in 3 years using this simple strategy!
5. FOLLOW UP when you say you will and follow rule #1 above – follow up on time!
6. Over-DELIVER and under-promise. Make sure you promise something can deliver. Again, this establishes trust.
7. SMILE – people will speak to someone that exudes positive personality!
Implement these strategies, practice makes perfect and watch how you will flourish!